Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Settling In

I arrived in Oxford at 2pm yesterday.  After some initial trouble finding street address numbers (displaying them in obvious places like on the door or the mailbox seems to be optional) I was able to get into the study abroad program offices and make contact with my visiting professor Stuart Patterson.  He helped me walk one block down the street to my place of residence, whereupon I was beset by a fit of uncontrollable glee.  You see, I get to live in a place in the heart of downtown Oxford.  Its roughly equivalent to living in a walk-up on Houston St. in Soho NYC, or in some preposterous condo above the ritzy shopping areas on Oak St. in Chicago.  Totally ridiculous and unquestionably amazing.

Only took a few pics thus far, many more to come.  Here is the nightly view down the west end of my street...

More to come soon, I need to head back out and get some essentials.

2 comments:

  1. No numbers on buildings is one incomprehensible problem, but also don't expect return addresses on letters or packages--they don't think they are necessary!
    :) Ruth e

    ReplyDelete
  2. "my place of residence" I always thought that that was the space between your ears!

    ReplyDelete