Friday, January 14, 2011

The 2k Test

ERG results!

Eleven of us from Hertford were in attendance and we did it in two groups so that we could all benefit from having some coaching and cheering behind us as we tormented ourselves.   

I didn't quite get my time down into the 6:50 area like I wanted.  My problem was consistency.

For the first 500m I was good, setting a split at 1:43.
Second 500m I slowed down a bit, which was ok, 1:45 split.
But in the third 500 I cracked and my time rose up to about 1:47
I kept that 1:47 split through the last 500m also. 

Total time:  7:04.7

At first I was upset that I wasn't able to break into the sixes like I had planned and wanted.  However, in appreciation of the broader picture I must say this time is pretty damn good for a former lazy computer nerd.  Its a new personal best - a full ten seconds under my previous record which was set a mere three weeks ago.  I'm proud of that improvement.  That time was also the third best of all of us there that night.  I was beaten by the men's captain and a former lightweight Oxford v Cambridge, "Blues" oarsman.  It's hard to stay mad at yourself when that's the company you keep.  I was only 14 seconds off their times and I have two months to catch them.  No problem. 

I find out if I made the first boat sometime next week when the coaches/captain finish their decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment