Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Torpids Quest

Latest news on the formation of the main boat crew...

Several distinguished oarsmen who were absent last term due to their academic work loads have expressed desires to return for this Torpids season.  These guys are all very experienced and quite athletic, as well as having the advantage of previous rowing experience together in Hertford's past.  That means that the available seats in the first boat is steadily decreasing.

The coaches have thus raised the bar for any oarsmen wanting one of the few remaining seats in the main boat.  However they have still made me an offer.  If I can continue the physical progress I've made in the last few weeks then I will be offered a spot.  This means knocking at least another 10 seconds off my 2k time while maintaining a consistent split.  Although this task seems daunting, I am incredibly excited for the opportunity.

Proving oneself is an essential aspect of the human experience.  Whether it be intellectually (which I am used to) or physically (the new game).  Moreover, I relish the chance to show off the illimitable scope of my will to succeed despite any obstacle.

I am also happy with the way this Torpids boat is coming together.  Being the 'weakest' link on a team of monstrously powerful competitors is where I prefer to be.  I learn from them, emulate them, and use the displays of their respective talent to inspire and drive me to their level.  I can't wait to earn a spot among such oarsmen.  Due to my height and leg length I will most likely be placed somewhere in the middle of the boat, in the engine, so to speak.  After years of being bullied in grade school for being one of the tiny kids, I like embracing the newer, bigger me.  The attention from the ladies is pretty good inspiration to continue too :p

Further updates as the term progresses...

1 comment:

  1. No time for Ladies,,,,school and rowing. The ladies can wait. We are,after all,that GOOD. I will swear them off until your rowing/school season is over also. We are really pleased for you Bob. Good spot to be in. I see the boat, and erg time have done you well. Pace your self a little tiny bit on that first 200-300 meters on the 2K. Then it will be short meters to the finish line. Yes, breathe before your start, and when its half done,,,remember to breathe out hard,and the lungs can refill more easily. Hands away brisk,,,,and 6:50s is yours. ron

    ReplyDelete